1. What is the minimum qualification for admission to a PhD Programme?
Eligibility for admission to Ph. D. programme:
Candidates who have completed:
A 2-year/4-semester master’s degree programme after a 3-year bachelor’s degree programme in Economics/Agricultural Economics/Population Studies with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade in a point scale (50 % for SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS)/ DTNT/ VJNT and other categories of candidates as per the Government of Maharashtra Reservation Policy.)
Candidates who have completed the M.Phil. programme with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade in a point scale (50% for SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled, Economically Weaker Section (EWS)/ DTNT/ VJNT and other categories of candidates as per the Government of Maharashtra Reservation Policy) shall be eligible for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
Foreign nationals/OCI card holders/NRIs will also appear the GIPE entrance examination with Indian citizens on the same date and time. The eligibility for such candidates will be as per the grade sheets equivalent to the 55% marks obtained at post-graduation level from the respective foreign universities.
Candidates who have appeared for the final post-graduation degree examination during 2022-23 and whose results are awaited shall also be eligible to apply. However, in order to be considered for admission to the programme, their results must be conveyed by the candidates, or respective universities to the Institute, preferably by fax/speed-post, on or before July 31, 2023 (Monday). Students may request their respective universities to dispatch their results to the Institute in a confidential form if the declaration of results is delayed beyond the last date stipulated by the Institute.
2. How many seats are available for the Ph.D. Programme 2023-24?
The Institute will admit approximately a total of 17 (seventeen) candidates to the Ph. D., Programme 2023-24.
For the academic year 2023-24, admission will be only for subjects Economics, Population Studies and Agricultural Economics.
Economics : 7
Agricultural Economics : 6
Population Studies : 4
The allocation of seats shall be as per the Government of Maharashtra guidelines, subject to the directives of the UGC/State governments as may be applicable at the time of admission.
3. Can I apply to the Ph.D. programme by personally visiting the campus and submitting a hard copy?
No, Ph. D. Applications form can be filled and submitted online through the website www.gipe.ac.in
4. What is the procedure of admission to Ph.D. Programme?
The candidates who have qualified UGC NET/ JRF/ SET or M.Phil. with 55 % marks through regular and not distance mode will be exempted from the GIPE entrance examination. They will be directly eligible for Ph.D. interview. All other candidates have to undertake admission through the institute’s entrance examination mode, followed by interview.
5. What is the structure of Ph.D. Entrance Examination?
- The Entrance Examination will be of 100 marks with multiple choice type questions.
- Entrance Test Paper consists of 100 marks objective questions.
- The syllabus of the question paper includes research methodology, basic statistics, logical reasoning and basic mathematics.
- Each correct answer carries 1 Mark.
- There is “NO NEGATIVE MARKING” for wrong answers.
- The time duration of this entrance exam is 120 minutes.
- The medium of the Entrance Examination will be “English”.
- The Entrance Examination for Ph. D. programme will be conducted through center base online mode.
- Standard of passing:
General Category : 50% marks
Reserved Category : 45 % marks
6. What is the syllabus of the Ph.D. Entrance Examination?
The Entrance Examination question paper will be based on research methodology, basic statistics, logical reasoning and basic mathematics.
7. What is the Date of Entrance Examination?
The entrance exam will be conducted on 25th June, 2023 at 04 Centres.
For centre information, please refer Ph.D. brochure available on www.gipe.ac.in
8. Is there a Part-time Ph. D. programme?
The part-time Ph. D. programme shall be open to candidates working in academia / industry / research organizations, who are unable to pursue the doctoral programme in full-time mode.
The working professionals shall produce a No Objection Certificate from the employer at the time of admission.
For candidates admitted to the Ph. D. programme under part-time mode, the pre-
Ph.D. coursework shall be mandatory and they should be available at the Institute for offline classes during a semester coursework.
9. What is the structure of the Personal Interview?
Candidates who pass the Written Test and candidates who are exempted from the Written Test shall be required to appear for an interview to present/discuss their research proposal/area of interest. The date and time of the interview will be communicated directly to the shortlisted candidates.
Students who have secured 50 % marks in the entrance test are eligible to be called for the interview (45% marks for SC/ST/OBC/differently-abled category, Economically Weaker Section (EWS), DTNT/ VJNT and other categories of candidates as per the Government of Maharashtra Reservation Policy).
The interview will be held in last week of July and the selected candidates will have to join for the programme in the first week of August,2023.
10. What is the duration of the coursework?
The coursework will commence in August and will be completed in December (one full semester course) with 16 credits.