The primary objective of the Institute is to conduct research in the socio-economic dimensions of the Indian society, and impart training to researchers in this domain. The thrust areas of research at the Institute are Agricultural Economics, Rural Development & Cooperation, Population Studies, Input-Output Studies for Planning & Development, Monetary Economics & Finance, Public Economics, International Economics, among others.
Pioneering Research in Economics
A Legacy of Contributions to Socio-Economic Policy-making
Gokhale Institute Of Politics And Economics is renowned for its initiatives in qualitative research in diverse areas of economic theory and practice. The Institute is credited with pioneering contributions by way of surveys, research, informed debate, analysis and critique which have shaped public discourse on major socio-economic initiatives and in formulating economic plans at the regional level in the State of Maharashtra, as well at the national level.
Some of the major Research contributions of the Institute include: First cooperative sugar factory in India at Pravaranagar and subsequent support to the cooperative sector.
- Development of methodology for rural data collection, still in use by NSSO.
- Development of methodology for national income estimation in rural India, still in use by CSO.
- Development of methodology for social cost-benefit analysis of large scale irrigation projects.
- Design of the institutional framework for NABARD.
- Formulation of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in Maharashtra.
- Formulation of National Agricultural Insurance Scheme.
- Design of weather-based Insurance products.
- Design of Actuarial Rating of National Agricultural Insurance Scheme.
- Design of inflation-indexed bonds for Reserve Bank of India.
- Formulae for pricing of electricity based on biomass and bagasse.
- Evaluation of Comprehensive District Agricultural Plans for various districts in Maharashtra.
- Study of Impact of NREGA on Wage Rates, Cost of Production, Food Security and Rural Urban Migration, etc.